I THINK I HAVE S.A.D

I think I have S.A.D. Yes, you heard that right! No, Iam not upset. S.A.D actually means Seasonal Affective Disorder.(Disclaimer: I know using mental health terms without being diagnosed is not appropriate but it’s just a way of saying winter blues in a dramatic way, so I hope no one takes offence)  Did you know, such a word exists? Even I didn't, till a couple of days back when I heard someone talk about it on Instagram, and on surfing the internet further I realised I might just have it! My whole life has been about hating the winter season and probably having some sort of seasonal depression because of all the unproductive energy 24 hours. I am a true blue Delhiite, and thus, I want to make something very clear .. wait for it..

" Delhi winters are honestly so over rated. " There, I said it out loud. 

The whole concept of romanticizing winters by using words like snuggle, fuzzy, warm, cuddly is an utter lie which we've been made to believe in. In fact the only words that should be used to describe December and January in Delhi are.. Constant gloominess, body stiffness and an apathetic state of being. Oh and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If you are someone  who "loves" the winter season, you might get triggered by the end of this blog or maybe.. if you ponder over it for a minute, you might actually start hating it too. 

The people who hype winters ( Read: Bollywood directors making actresses dance in chiffon sarees on snow clad mountains.) do not even live in a state with extreme weather  exposure and are themselves covered in a 100 layers of clothes while making the weather look aesthetically appealing in their movies. Since I have mentioned "Layers" casually now, I would like to say, I weigh less than 45 kg and am almost 5 ft tall and having 5 layers on myself surely  doesn’t  make me look “cute”.  #JustSaying

I guess every north Indian can relate to me on the fact that it has now become our routine to wake up in the morning and ask if there is "DHOOP" today. We literally have become Jaadoo of Koi Mil Gaya, searching sun light and surviving on it. A day without sunlight makes us cranky and sad ( the real one).

The only time I remember having loved winters was when I was in college and we could eat steaming hot momos or fresh paranthas in the campus without sweating like pigs. Actually, in terms of food, winter season does bring a lot of goodness to us Delhites in the form of Makki ki roti and sarson ka saag, moong dal ka halwa and  fresh strawberries. I remember how much I loved eating that Natural’s mango ice cream topped with fresh strawberries on chilly nights but damn COVID. It has turned my simplest guilty pleasure into a cause of anxiety of falling sick now. The Christmas brunches, dinner parties and wine in the restaurant patios were our saving grace from these winter blues but everything has lost its charm in the last two years.

I know, I can go on and on with my winter rant but to summarize it in a line, for me the most dreadful dialogue of the year is definitely, " Winter Is Coming" and the most beautiful quote of the year ( also, in life) is " If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" ( Class 10th reference, Iykyk) 

I hope that one day I can own a beach house in Goa where I can probably shift during December and January temporarily! Ah, If only life was that simple!

Anyway, "The writer has gone back into the hibernation mode, waiting for the sun to shine and spring to arrive." 



*Someone told me adding images to the blog makes it go viral* Lets try ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey Through Normalcy and Difference!

From Mind Full to Mindful!

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch