From Miracle To Mediocrity

 Recently I was reading an amazing “meant-to-be-a-life-changing, self help book” and I came across these lines which said “Why is that when a baby is born, we often refer to them as “miracle of life”, but  then go on to accept the mediocrity for our own lives? Where along the way did we lose sight of the miracle that we were living?” (Book- The Miracle Morning) 

The first thought that often comes to the mind when we read something about our miraculous existence, similar to the common advice “LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST” is generally a creative thought or a lifestyle change we've always wanted to make. For example, I felt like “yes, I should write more blogs or read more books or even write one or bake and cook  more often.. Even crazy ideas like learning pottery and making video-blogs made an appearance” I am pretty sure others would feel the same and even have a motivational moment about working out, eating healthy and taking care of one's health or simply spending time with friends and family,etc.

However, why does nobody  actually visualize sitting in front of their laptops for 2 extra hours when asked to enjoy life? May be because in our hearts we all know how much there is, in this world to explore and how many meanings can "happiness and fulfillment" actually have? But what actually intrigues me ,is, when we start pursuing something or some hobby that makes US happy,it eventually, becomes our way of seeking validation from others. Have you ever noticed this? For instance, I have always liked writing and have wanted to journal more. So when last month I had a surreal travel experience, I decide to pen down my entire journey so that I can re read it a couple years later and feel the same. From wanting to share my travelogue with a couple of friends, to receiving appreciation from them, to then sharing the link on my social media for more people to read to finally brainstorming about what should I write about next. Slowly I realized, something I considered a medium of expression, in reality, maybe was just another medium of seeking appreciation.

 Why does everything that we start for our own entertainment becomes the source of others' entertainment later? I know I might sound a bit too cynical but have you observed, even a Youtuber or an artist who begins creating content/ art because of all the creative energy and talent he or she possesses, ultimately falls in the loop of followers, likes and validation. In other words, our "miraculous and happy life" gets caught into the trap of mediocrity, yet again, because at the end of the day, what matters to us is how are we perceived (read" appreciated") by people including our own families. 

The other day, I was talking to a friend about a LinkedIn post she had made for the first time, it was her views about someone's article that she had put across . The moment she said," Aashima,I had to think 10 times before posting because I was nervous" it re affirmed my belief that we are all in the same boat and sadly that boat is being steered by people's perception of us.

Does this mean we should all stop expressing and sharing our lives with others and start leading a private life? Nope, that's not the solution either, because I, being a social media enthusiast myself  understand the whole "sharing" with the world thing, I mean I just shared a picture of the dinner I cooked last night, lol. It is just the negative vibes and judgments which shouldn't affect our mental health and definitely, not decide the course of our future actions. If I have written something which I want to share with the world, their reactions should not waver my confidence for the next time, right? Neither should it give me stress to be perfect and impress anyone. 

Yes I know it sounds like I am schooling my own self, but maybe yes, I needed to say all this out loud to let go off any inhibitions still left in me. Life is precious and it definitely should be treated like that. being our best versions is the least we owe to ourselves. 

PS-  Reminder to self: Read this blog 3 times a week, Aashima, to never stop being a work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey Through Normalcy and Difference!

From Mind Full to Mindful!

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch